Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpkin love



Another October has found its way to us.

Its been a strange sort of autumn. 2 weeks ago, temps were dancing around the 80's. Summer it seemed, had returned for an encore performance.

Then suddenly, with the sun still taking root in the sky, the mercury dropped into the 50's during the day. Frost covered the ground at night. Summer disappeared for good and autumn seemed to take hold at last.

I of course, love this weather. It reminds me of my Midwestern upbringing. Crisp, sunny days...and extra blanket nights. Colors snap alive on maple trees. Pumpkins appear in the market places. Bright colored scarves start making appearances. I start itching for a pile of leaves to jump in. There is something so magnificent about these clear days of reds and oranges. The harvest retired, woodsmoke in the air and a nearby marching band practicing in the distance. I love it.

It doesn't last long. The real northwest autumn must eventually settle herself. The skies shift to milder tones of gray. The rain begins to fall. And sleet appears on the windshield. We become more aware of the lonely sound of foghorns in the distances, and the quieting sense of comfort a hot coffee can bring. Quirky north westerners can be heard breathing a hundred sighs of relief. "Thank goodness the rains have returned".

Sometimes I feel like I'm really out of place here.

Regardless. It was during the brilliant window of "Midwestern" autumn that Elizabeth and I took Jonas and Jember to the Stoney Ridge Pumpkin farm. Located in a nearby community, Stoney Ridge farm invites young and old to come and sample her delights every year. Upon arrival, one may experience any array of wonderment to the senses: a petting farm, a "country store", a shop serving homemade pies and ice cream, and hayrides awaiting passengers for a ride out to the pumpkin fields. We had a wonderful time. Though I must add that Jember wanted to free the rabbits and later tried to climb into the pony stalls. (She really loves animals!). Later my nature girl, surrounded by a field of pumpkins insisted on kissing as many as she could find. I'm quite serious here. Jonas got in on the action himself. He hugged a few pumpkin friends, then took to the more important matter of running here and there in the October sunshine splitting his time between finding the perfect rocks to throw and discovering which pumpkins where best for climbing.

All in all. A perfect day.

So many things to look at!


Choosing pumpkins is very focused work!


This pumpkin is quite bumpy.


Growing taller!


"Ok. 2 questions. What the heck is it? And how do I set it free?"


Elizabeth and the kids. (Love this pic). Jember is fascinated by the foilage and Jonas can't take his eyes off her camera/phone. So many buttons. Great example of their different personalities!)


"Hmmmmm. This could be the very pumpkin I've been searching for..."


Exploration of the perfect pumpkin continues.


So many pumpkins...so little time.


Waiting for the Great Pumpkin to rise up...

Fascinated by pumpkin stalks


Wheelbarrow Boy


Getting there is half the fun.

Sunshine in October and a day with my kids. Really. What could be better?

and finally...

One year ago today:






How time flies!

2 comments:

sharon said...

Not only are the pictures beautiful but I love your writing!!It makes for some wonderful reading. Please keep up your "blog" we so enjoy watching those beautiful babies grow.

Anna said...

I think it's illegal to have kids this adorable. Seriously.