Thursday, December 17, 2009

Shadows of Christmas Present




The first few weeks of December have been so incredibly busy. Looking back, it feels like it is almost too much to even capture in words.

First of all, our beloved friend and nanny, Lisa returned from Thanksgiving with sad news. Needing to tend to a family emergency, she was forced to leave immediately for the month of December. Sending our blessings with her urgent departure, we went into a bit of a panic to find someone who could step in immediately and take care of the twins for the 3 weeks until winter break. In the end, Ross and I both took off work to cover the first week. And then, (after a couple of days of fevered phone calls) our wonderful parents agreed to fly in from Montana and Wisconsin to help us for the remaining 2 weeks.


It was an incredible gift having them here. Myrna and Robert (Ross's parents) came for the next week. My mother came for the last week. I wish there was a way to express how wonderful it was to have them in our homes. They saved the day, the weeks, and our lives. Everything was made more special having them close. We are so blessed.


Papa and Grammy Myrna




Gramma Sharon




On the outside of our cozy home, life grows more intense. At school, the final rehearsals of my fall theatre production ("Flowers for Algernon") wrap up. Balancing teaching, directing and motherhood adds up. I'm at rehearsals til late. Ross is forced to pick up the slack more. Jonas and Jember remind me daily that I am gone too much. A deep exhaustion settles into my body. Days are shorter. Nights are colder. And just when the reality of another winter begin to settle around me, the sounds of bells can be heard ringing in windy parking lots. Reminders that the holiday season approaches. Candles flicker in windows, illuminating the icy dark.

We love the holidays. Not the trumped up "shop til you drop" commercialism that seems to infect everything like a sickness in its is wake...but rather the warm lights, soft carols and sweet smells that fill our homes and bring a spirit of renewal. Not to mention, the promise of holiday music and molasses cookies. Who couldn't feel energized by that?

So we turn up the music. "Oh yes we need a little Christmas, right this very minute..." and we sing it at the top of our voices.

Oh yes! Its a time to bake a little:



decorate a little:


take some winter walks (followed by hot cocoa of course!)



Experiment with our wonderful new winter hats (Thank you, Aunt Linda!)



And on a bright, cold Saturday we head up the road to a local tree farm to find our perfect tree.







(Jonas loves up the sweet woman who runs the tree farm)








Decorating our perfect tree











We cozy in with our favorite books:







Celebrate!! We take time to celebrate with friends (Jen and Tim) returned from Ethopia. Welcome baby Eyouel!



Tired but elated mommy and son




All of this makes us feel SO happy!








We reflect on the gifts in our lives



Family. The love we share. Our dearest friends. Our parents. Our grandparents.

My own grandmother is 95 years old. Though she lives in Minnesota we think of her so often. She is a strong, special lady and I love her. (To say nothing of the fact that she makes the best molasses cookies on earth!) This year, our tree is decorated with all of the needlepoint ornaments that she made years ago. They are perfect for our tree, all non breakable, colorful decorations that have been in my family for years. How could I ever tell her how those suspended decorations feel like tokens of love that connect me to my family both living and passed on to other worlds? How can I tell her how I hope to proudly carry on my family traditions and the holiday rituals to my own children? How can I tell her that every time I see my children holding those decorations, my heart fills up - holding both my grandmother and my son and daughter all at once?

Blessings to you all this holiday season. May your hearts find their own light. And may you stay warm from its glow all winter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Hope you guys have a merry and love filled Christmas, as I am sure you will!!

susana said...

even if you thought you could plan your life adventures...it would never had been the wonderful! Love Love Love! thank you for sharing:-)

Stephanie said...

Beautiful post!

I hope everything works out for you nanny.