Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Day Weekend


And so here we are - the weekend before school starts.


First off, let me just say 2 words. Barack Obama. I don't think I'm the most political soul you will ever meet ~ but I have to say at the age of 41 I have never, ever experienced a politician that made me want to go out and be a better person...a better citizen. I'm too young to have witnessed first hand the inspiring speeches of JFK or MLK ...but I think I shall always remember the intense feelings of hope and excitement this hopeful president stirs within me. (Ok. The fact that he uses words with more then one syllable is also amazing. Its dizzying almost - to hear an intelligent, thoughtful and articulate leader speak. Woah). Ross and I both commented that we wished the babies were old enough to take them to the convention. Wouldn't that have been an amazing experience?

Anyway, its Labor Day weekend. We don't have much planned. We both need to work in our classrooms, and trust me when I say we are soaking up every last lovely minute with the babies. I will say that walking in the house at the end of a day of painful staff meetings to see those happy little faces light up is worth more to me then anything I could imagine.

Here are some images from our last week:

Practicing with spoons and eating...oh boy...




Helping with laundry:




With our dear, sweet neighbors Bud and Norma Jean




"See Jonas, this is how you are supposed to be sitting for a picture!"


"No no Jonas! Don't close your eyes!"



"How'd I do, mom?"




And so we wrap up our summer and head into another school year. Another autumn approaches...and while I am anxious about returning to work( as a busy high school drama teacher and director) - I know that the goal of my entire life now is finding the balance between motherhood and teaching. Balance - finding time for Ross and I as a couple. Balance. Find time for myself - watercoloring, reading, exercise. (yeah. I know...good luck with that one Vicki). Balance - Its my goal, my focus, and my mantra. It helps me to remember that at the end of each day I get to go home to my loving, kind husband and 2 of the most beautiful souls I have ever known ... my warm and sweet babies. Family. I like the feel of that word.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful family you have! AND you even get help with laundry!! LOL Darling!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are doing well going back to work. Yuck! I'm sure your little guys miss their Mommy and Daddy but it's probably more painful for you than for them!

susan said...

Vicki!

Such darling photos of your kiddos! And I know this is way late, but yes, I'd love to get together and have the babies see each other again! Let me know when you'll be in Seattle and I'll keep you posted about our next trip up north. Will you be working full time?

I just resigned from my teaching position last year. I miss it, but feel lucky to home with our kids.

Take care! And best of luck with the start of the school year!
Susan

Jillienne said...

I hope that the school year started wonderfully!

And if you figure out how to work that balance thing, please, let me know!